Sfera Sicilian Street Food (5759 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60660) offers quintessential Sicilian cuisine with an unmistakable Chicago twist in Edgewater.
The LGBT-owned eatery takes Sicily’s recipes, techniques, and food culture and utilizes the best of the Midwest harvest. Sfera is open daily from 10 am-6 pm.
Sfera began as a collaboration between Chef Steven Jarczyk and Daniela Vitale.
They took their memories of casual dining abroad, Daniela’s summers in Sicily with her family, and Steven’s experience living in Europe.
They started selling their version of arancini at farmer’s markets and using ingredients they would also find at the markets.
During the pandemic, the team moved into a ghost kitchen space to offer their full menu to-go.
Chef Steven and Daniela wanted to open a physical restaurant where they could interact with their customers and be a part of a community.
In May 2022, they renovated and opened their first restaurant space in the heart of Edgewater.
Sfera is a close walk to the lakefront and Hollywood Beach and is conveniently located a short distance from the Bryn Mawr Red Line stop.
The space was designed by Chef Steven and Daniela and was inspired by the coast of Sicily.
It includes a small seating area, a food case, and a retail section.
Arancini – Stuffed risotto balls with signature fillings and cheese. The quintessential Sicilian street food and Sfera’s specialty. Hand rolled. Served with dipping sauces.
- Wild Garlic Ricotta – 2 crisp fried risotto balls filled with local ricotta blended with sprouted garlic and mozzarella cheese. Served with Sfera Marinara.
- Porcini – 2 crisp fried risotto balls filled with ragu of imported porcini and local mushrooms, and fontina cheese. Served with truffle aioli.
- Classico – 2 crisp fried saffron risotto balls filled with Sicilian beef ragu and mozzarella. Served with Sfera Marinara.
Pane Cunzato – Sicilian Sandwiches
- Roasted Chicken and Red Pepper Relish Sandwich – Slow Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast, Red Pepper-Almond Pesto, Provolone and Crisp Greens
- Caponata and Feta Sandwich – House made Caponata, eggplant and vegetable sweet sour relish with goat and sheep’s milk feta and arugula
- Chicago Muffuletta – imported mortadella, hot capicola, salami, provolone, house focaccia, signature olive giardiniera relish
- Panino Burrata – fresh tomato, house pesto, torn burrata, grilled italian flat bread (add prosciutto)
- Pane e Panelle – crisp chickpea fritters on a sesame-semolina bun, roasted red peppers, vegan lemon-caper aioli
Sfincione – Sicilian Style Pizza
- Sfincione Chicago Style Slice – Thin crust sicilian style pizza with crumbled italian sausage, green peppers, sauteed garlic, mushrooms, Sfera marinara, Wisconsin mozzarella cheese topped with pecorino bread crumbs
- Sfincione Alla Norma Slice – thick crust Sicilian style pizza with marinated grill roasted vegetables, wild garlic ricotta, Sfera marinara, Wisconsin mozzarella cheese topped with pecorino bread crumbs.
- Pistachio – Cherry Cassata Cupcake – filled with candied Door Country Cherry and sweet whipped local ricotta and topped with pistachios, cherry, and rose petals.
- Blood Orange and Chocolate Cassata Cupcake – rich chocolate cupcake filled with blood orange jam and sweet ricotta filling.
- Orange Pistachio Breakfast Torta Cake
Hot & Chilled Beverages
- Cappuccino, Latte, Mocha, Hot Chocolate, Sicilian Apple Cider, and Limonata (hand-pressed Sicilian style limonata, lightly sweetened with housemade lemon syrup)
Sfera Sicilian Street Food offers a curated selection of Sicilian retail items in their restaurant – both housemade and from various Italian vendors.
- Sfera Marinara – Signature House Made Marinara (16oz), Sicilian Chili and Herb Oil – Extra Virgin Olive Oil infused with chilis, Sicilian spices, garlic, and fresh herbs. Perfect for drizzling over pasta, pizzas, or anything that could use a delicious kick. (8oz), Sfera Caponata, Sfera Espresso, Sfera Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Product of Italy exclusively bottled for Sfera Sicilian Street Food, Sfera Balsamic Vinegar – Product of Italy exclusively bottled for Sfera, Vigo Rolled Fillets of Anchovies, Mafaldine Pasta, and Taralli W/ Rosemary – A traditional Italian delicacy. Taralli is a classic Italian cracker finished with a dash of Rosemary.
Look for Sfera Sicilian Street Food at the Logan Square and Andersonville farmers markets.
Sfera offers their signature arancini for parties large and small. Arancini. Available hot or chilled and ready for reheat.