There is still much to be explored in Los Angeles in 2020. Here are top ways to sip, stay and discover Los Angeles this year featuring outdoor escapes, Instagrammable spots, and more.
- Sip, Stay, Dine at The Wayfarer DTLA Hotel
- Discover Kobe Bryant Murals
- Support Black Owned Businesses in Los Angeles
- Go Chasing Waterfalls | Hiking in L.A.
- Go on a Scenic Drive: in the city, on the coast or head inland
- Take a Photo on some Instagrammable Hidden Staircases
- Explore The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (coming soon)
- Watch a Game at SoFi Stadium (coming soon)
Sip, Stay, Dine at The Wayfarer DTLA Hotel
The Wayfarer DTLA is a newly opened, community-focused hotel located in Downtown L.A.’s South Park.
The property features 156 rooms with whimsical decor; a rooftop bar; the underground speakeasy Lilly Rose; a kitchen open for guests to use; and a stairwell gym.
Discover Kobe Bryant Murals
On Jan. 26, 2020, NBA legend Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and seven others had died tragically in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California.
Hundreds of tribute murals have since been created in Los Angeles, across the US and around the world. An interactive map created by @kobemural shows the locations of tribute murals across L.A. County and beyond.
Support Black Owned Businesses in Los Angeles
From coffee shops, cultral institutions, restaurants, fashion boutiques to independent book shops, here are a few recommended guides to black owned businesses in Los Angeles.
- Discover Los Angeles Guide to Black Owned Businesses in LA
- Kat Hong @proscuittogirl69 Guide to Black Owned Restaurants in LA
- Love and Loathing LA: Black-Owned Businesses in LA
- Los Angeles Times: Black-owned businesses in L.A. say they’re open and looking for support. Here’s a list.
Go Chasing Waterfalls | Hiking in L.A.
Here are a few waterfalls worthing of chasing around L.A. so grab your hiking shoes and camera for some beautiful moments in nature.
This popular 200 ft three-tiered waterfall can be accessed via a 4-mile hike across Escondido Canyon Park.
A light ¾ milke hike through Monrovia Canyon Park in the San Gabriel Mountains will take you to Monrovia Falls.
Santa Ynez Falls
A more challenging trail is the Santa Ynez Waterfall Trail which is 0.6 miles long with an elevation gain of 152 ft. Pro tip: Near the waterfall, the canyon walls grow closer and the trail becomes more rocky. However, the terrains stays relatively mild for the length of the trail, with a very slight incline towards the falls.
Go on a Scenic Drive: in the city, on the coast or head inland
Here are a few of L.A.'s most scenic drives, from the urban heart of Los Angeles, to the stunning coast and inland landscapes.
In the City
- Sunset Strip from Crescent Heights Boulevard to Doheny Drive
- Hollywood Boulevard from La Brea Avenue to Vine Street
- Wilshire Boulevard from Downtown L.A. to Pacific Coast Highway
On the Coast
- Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica to Zuma Beach
- North Sepulveda Boulevard from Redondo Beach to Manhattan Beach
- Palos Verdes Drive from Palos Verdes Estates to San Pedro
- Mulholland Drive from the 405 to Laurel Canyon Boulevard
- Angeles Crest Scenic Byway
- Palms to Pines Scenic Byway
Take a Photo on some Instagrammable Hidden Staircases
The Silver Lake neighbourhood is home to dozens of public, outdoor stairways.
Look for the rainbow striped and heart painted staircase by artist Corrine Carrey at 3400 Sunset Boulevard.
Stair Tempo Staircase
Artist Corinne Carrey also painted these piano keys along this staricase at 3229 Sunset Boulevard.
Explore The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (coming soon)
Los Angeles will welcome the 275,000-square-foot, $1-billion Lucas Museum of Narrative Art to Downtown L.A.’s Exposition Park.
The Lucas Museum will celebrate the power of visual storytelling in a setting focused on narrative painting, illustration, photography, film, animation and digital art.
Works on display will come from George Lucas’ personal collection of art, which consists of approximately 10,000 paintings and illustrations along with Hollywood Memorabilia from films such as “Star Wars” and “The Ten Commandments.”
Watch a Game at SoFi Stadium (coming soon)
The 70,000-seat SoFi Stadium is an unprecedented and unparalleled sports and entertainment destination being built in Inglewood, CA.
The Stadium is approaching completion Summer 2020 and will house L.A.’s two NFL teams: the Los Angeles Chargers and the the Los Angeles Rams.
The stadium is the centerpiece of a 298-acre mixed-use development featuring retail, commercial office space, a hotel, residential units, and outdoor park spaces.